Why PowerPool is not financial pyramid?

Hello!

I’m new in DEFI, and I have naive, maybe dumb, but important question.
Where did CVP got liquidity to provide such high APY? Tokens in “buskets” have maximum 20% APY, when PIPT for example provides 102%, how? In the first look it looks like financial pyramid.

Thank you.

Hi friend, compared to other DeFi platforms (some of them offer 1000%+ APYs), PowerPool offers pretty reasonable returns.

If you take a closer look, the APY you mention (102%) is given to SushiSwap liquidity providers. They need to deposit a basket of PIPT+WETH to SushiSwap to provide liquidity. Liquidity providers create a secondary market for PIPT and make it more efficient. Then they are rewarded for doing it.

2 Likes

Because such high APY is based on liquidity mining program or initial token distribution via liquidity mining. Almost all major Defi projects did this, including Yearn, Uniswap, Balancer, 1inch, Curve, and many more. It is a historically-proven and industry-grade approach for distributing tokens to liquidity providers. Or you want to say that all mentioned projects are financial pyramids?

I like this question because a lot more common/new-to-crypto people (who should also be in our target audience) would also ask it. We must be prepared to provide simple yet clear and well structured answers.

2 Likes

Hello!

Thanks all for answers! I almost get it. Last question: where is from in LP such high %? There is 0,3% fee for swap in Sushi. Does such high APY get from quantity of swaps or the thing is in smth else?

Thanks

such APYs for LPs are sponsored by projects.
In YETI/ETH, YLA/ETH case, rewards are provided by $SUSHI.
PIPT/ETH by CVP.

That’s a common practice, in general finance companies pay to big Market Makers, like citadel. In crypto, everyone can be a marketmaker.

SUSHI pays SUSHI tokens for that. They do it because they want to attract more liquidity on their platform, including CVP liquidity

Thanks, I got that it is common practice, but where did those projects get $ for bonuses? Maybe off-top question, but it’s important for me to understand who pays for party.

$$$ comes from unreleased token which are part of the token max supply. Liquidity providers can only stake LP token on PowerPool (which comes from the deposit of CVP released tokens and ETH on Uniswap) to get CVP token rewards which is a common practice known as liquidity mining.

Now, PowerPool has a token economy through CVP, but first to initiate token economy, tokens need to be released to the public, at least some of them. PowerPool has communicated the token allocation and release program that you can review at the following link: https://medium.com/powerpool/understanding-powerpools-cvp-token-model-7ad36ea66999

Within this table, the PowerPool team explains how tokens will be released and what is the token maximum supply. The token maximun supply of PowerPool is 100,000,000 CVP tokens. As you can see in the table in the referred link above, the team has explained the token release plan along with PowerPool app version release.

PowerPool is currently on Mainnet so we are at the mainnet liquidity mining stage, if I am correct, so the plan is to release 80,000,000 CVP tokens by granting rewards to the liquidity providers who stake their LP tokens.

According to coinmarketcap, PowerPool has a current circulating supply of 20,306,673 which means that we are at the very early stage of the liquidity mining program because only 306,673 CVP tokens (0,0038%) have been released through this incentives program. 20,000,000 CVP tokens were already released on Alpha round, Beta round, Gamma round and to the community pool and so available to provide liquidity.

In few words, it means that 4/5 of the token max supply will be released through liquidity mining program to max 1/5 of token max supply for the time being (which is the circulating supply). It also means that max 1/5 of token max supply holders could potentially earn 4/5 of token max supply with mining rewards.

So, to give you a quick answer, the rewards comes from the unreleased tokens that will be released to the public through incentives program. Then, the market values the token and turn it into $.

I hope it helps and clarifies.

Hello!
Thank you very much, now everything is clear.
How long this APY’s will last on indexes? Where can I see this?

Thanks

you are not right. beta/gamma isn’t released yet. supply data on CMC is not correct. Coingecko data is correct. So, 5m tokens were distributed to alpha round and the remaining 5+m with liquidity mining. Circulating supply now is 10,706,674 CVP