Proposal 17: Translator`s value proposition for PowerPool

I fully agree with this point, keep in mind that we are not oly translators, but also will be the SPOC (single point of contact) for any related questions or comments about the project. And we would be also the ones to spread the word to our respective languages

Guys, could be postpone decision on the translators’ role in the ecosystem until the ambassadors’ roles are defined and then perhaps submit the two proposals together? I would love to start translating PP articles, however it is true that without being the single point of contact for the respective communities would diminish the effects of spreading such articles. There should definitely be rewarded positions of “national” ambassadors working closely with the respective translators also being rewarded for the translating.

1 Like

There is a system called “agile”. Its a method in project management that is characterized by delivering small parts of product to prod. So this method allows to deliver features fast, test them fast and fix fast because this pieces are pretty small.
So Ambassador program is very tough and huge thins to develop fast, so it will take time, resources, motivation to create all of it (and its probably have to be 1 person who create this, because if there are no “releases” in prod that can be connected with other in Ambassador program, then there is a need to develop it all by yourself.)
So if we assume that translators are essential for ambassador program and they are 100% gonna be there, so there is possibility to start with smthng like this part of program

1 Like

The well-written proposal, surprised by how seriously it is done @Getmegone
Full support

1 Like

Had to rename proposal to 17-th due to 16th proposal suddenly appeared in Governance section)

Hi guys, hi @cryptouf , nice to see you here (love your articles btw).

I already spoke with @Getmegone so I completely agree with this. We have to move fast, in an agile way if we want to have an impact. We cannot wait for the whole Ambassador program to be built :slight_smile:
Once we have the list of languages to be translated in, we also have to define how to handle several translators from the same country / language… Because, otherwise, how could we be sure that the “official” translator will continue to be dedicated to the project on the long term? What happen if a translator doesn’t answer for a few days or if he’s late for some translations? We cannot wait, hoping for him to return, so there needs to be a way to have several translators as backups.

hi ! thanks a lot

One way is to give competitive rewards. So you don’t want to miss a translation. Or have a ranking system. 1 translators start (more active member for example), and if he missed a translation the second one on the list take the spot. The Uber of translation ^^ TBH i don’t really like this option ^^

Or you trust your member and believe that active members will always be involved (or they will say it when they want to stop).

But as I said above. More than translation you want a nice way to share it. I saw a lot of a project with a translation in 20 languages, but it’s useless as nobody speaks about the project.

1 Like

Yeah, I thought about. We discussed it with other translators and decided that there have to be 1 translator for each language. But I understand that there are few languages that probably will have more than 1 potential translator for each defined language, so I want to find for this translators other projects to work with. Ofc if “official” translator exceeds deadline regularly or have a lot of mistakes or (what even worse) uses machine translations, this translator will not be translating articles for PP or any other project (reminder: PP articles are in priority for official translators).
And pretty soon I will ask translators from here https://discord.gg/dxFfVUPZhY to fill the form with previous PP translations, or not only PP translations cuz experience matters anyway, so we will have a list of all the translators)

1 Like

There is a leveling system that allows to build long-term relationships with translators.
And there is also a deadline that gives u 48 hours to translate article and share it, otherwise reward will be cut in half. And if translator decides to skip this article cuz he won`t get paid anyway, I will notice it anyway in the beginning of the next month and if there is more motivated translator, he will have a chance to take place.
I just want everyone to understand - this translations become a job when u get paid for it) And it has and will be taken seriously)
Happy new year everyone!)

2 Likes

Topic might seem to be a bit dead but we are just waiting for info about the proposal regarding ecosystem fund from the team) Guess its gonna be released soon) Stay tuned and join our community of translators https://discord.gg/dxFfVUPZhY

1 Like

Hi guys, sorry to bring this issue back again, but let’s talk a bit more about the possibility to include all languages in the translator’s PP funding. And even though I understand the point of effective funding of only most common languages to be translated to, I still believe that it is not only translation itself that can attract other people (investors) to PP but also (and perhaps mainly) the active building of the community of native speakers. So having the translations of PP articles to uncommon language with the great community activity and support might in the long run help the PowerPool visions more that just having translations to frequently used languages posted in medium articles.

So my point is: let’s not exclude translators of any language, if there are people who would like to translate the PP articles with belief and enthusiasm no matter if the language is frequently used or not. If there is a sufficient source of funding (at least for now), let’s try it at least for few months and we will see in practice soon enough, if there are excited translators among us who can deliver high quality work and perhaps start building the native speaking community at the same time (as I would do myself).

1 Like

Hi,

Thanks for this awesome and very well written proposal, I hope it will be implemented and that it will allow more people to get involved with PowerPool.

I also agree with Glow, I don’t see why we would exclude languages only based on English proficiency statistics. Even in countries where the average English level is pretty high, many people don’t necessarily speak English at all, and could benefit from properly translated articles.
But even if we follow this logic, I think using the line between “High Proficienty” and “Moderate Proficienty” as a limit can be pretty unfair. For example, France and Latvia are in the bottom ranks of the High Proficiency, with scores of 559 and 555, while Italy or even Spain are in the top of Moderate Proficiency, with 547 and 537. Why would we stop people from translating for PowerPool because of that limit when there is such a small difference in the actual scores? Seems pretty unfair to me, especially if translators and serious and willing to take the job properly.

1 Like

@Getmegone please could you react to this and consider it before submitting final governance proposal? I am open to discussion…

Hey everyone, sorry for delay.
I think that we should first accept proposal about 10 most popular languages that have poor level of knowledge of English language.
Then, if it works for community of this languages, we can add another languages to this list.
As you all can see, it is not cheap for community and there is a thin balance between the costs of the process and the needs of community.
10 translators gonna cost about 30k CVP per year. Dont forget that this is about 10% of possible Ecosystem community fund. If we add more translators, we will take the bigger part of this fund. There are a lot of possible “hires” that gonna cost much more than a regular translator (marketers, researchers, analytics etc.). So I think that we need first to get the 10 most popular languages in crypto to close the biggest gap between PowerPool and possible users of this project.
Again, if it works and brings money into indexes - we can propose to increase the amount of translators.
And I believe that not all the translators can/should be community managers, leaders, influencer in their native-speaking community. It has to be done by professionals (who also has to be rewarded for that). But if u fell that u have enough strength in you to create community- just do it and get rewards for this. When u have community, u can understand do they need translations or it is enough for them to read posts in English.

I understand the logic but the think is: right now do you/we have 10 high-quality translator ready to translate to 10 most popular languages? Or is it just a hypothetical situation? Because if we do not have these 10 translators ready, then let’s hire those translators, who are ready and excited about translating to their languages right now! Let’s deal with the financial and personal resources we have now, because I think it might be more beneficial for the PP project to hire the excited translator from the current community than search for someone new just because he/she could translate to a popular language. Let’s use what we have now!

No we dont have translators for all the languages, cuz proposal is not accepted yet so there is no need to find people if there is no confidence that they will be rewarded.
@Glow can you remind me what your native language is? Is it French?
Cuz we already got couple translators for French but again due to proposal and logic there must be only 1 translator for 1 language.

I am a translator to Slovak, but Czech people can understand the language as well without difficulties. So in Slovakia and Czech Republic there is 15 millions people that can be targeted. Is it enough, is it worth it? I think yes…

You can`t say that all 15 mln people are in crypto, right?
Check statistics, Czech Republic is on the 47th place in Crypto adoption index and on 19th in English proficiency rating. It means that there are not so many people in crypto and pretty many people knows English pretty well.

No, I can’t say how many people in Slovakia and Czech Republic are crypto-positive… but I would say the smaller the number the greater need to bring them simple, clear and easy to understand information about it, about PP to be specific. And what I also know that I would love to translate PP articles and build the PP community and getting paid for it at the same time, because this project just fits my expectations what the progressive DeFi should be. And I would love to support anybody else who feels the same…

I understand that u want get paid for translations but my opinion is still the same: we need to start with top-10 most valuable languages.
U still can try to create community, translate articles etc. If this proposal impacts project and community in a good way, there will be possibility to get paid for what uve done as a translator, community manager or something like that. I cant add Slovak language in proposal because I will have to add all the other languages in proposal because of that, And in this case we can just throw away all the stats, forget about PnL etc.